Friday, June 19, 2009

I don't get the use of "cutting edge" to describe so-called innovative or experimental art or writing. I think it's even worse than "post-avant". "Cutting edge" to me is where one found Depeche Mode CD's in the record store in 1992. Sorry.

Last night it rained very hard which was accompanied by alot of thunder. I had to put more than one receptacle under all the leaks in the ceiling, which included the light fixture. Is that really dangerous?

I've had a stomach ache and/or toothache for about 2 weeks now.

Another thing I don't get is the idea that writers need to have sufficiently adventurous lives. Like there is a quota. "I will not know what poetry is until I experience this, this and this." How about until you experience poetry? I think a writer could have what by most standards is a sedentary, normal life, and still produce great work.

4 comments:

Jim K. said...

--cutting edge assumes there is
one edge: silly for art

--'post avant' is fun: if its
after the avant but the avant
is ahead (?)
--does post-something mean
past anything? lost? don't know

--listen for sizzling in ceiling

--stomach/tooth sometimes has
heart risk... lots of
floss and salt garg?

--and what of the life inside?
what portion of famous musicians
got that way old? epic poets
get epic young and old. this
age/type/way/race/style/life
poet says that one isn't
the real deal a thousand times
a day. a lot of people with
lots of experience are jaded
and bark a lot on paper. meh

richard lopez said...

when you think of some of the 20th century's greatest writers, such as faulkner and borges, who didn't leave home, didn't climb mount everest, didn't have to run marathons, and yet they still managed to write wonderful works, it beggars the imagination and gives a lie that to be an interesting writer one must have done exotic, fascinating deeds.

give me the library and an internet connection any day. the adventures one makes in language need several lifetimes to hold.

Teppichfesser Press said...

You don't NEED to live an interesting life that's why we now have graduate writing programs.
"Peoples bore me,
literature bores me, especially great literature,"
and we need "the cutting edge" so that Edge can continue to hold Piper-esque interview segments an attack his opponents before a PPV.
Also talk to your landlord about the leak, that could someday cause a short and they'll need to do more work than it's worth.

Ross Brighton said...

I like Depeche Mode.